*The provincial excise taxes vary. Cannabis Benchmarks estimates the population weighted average excise tax for Canada.
**CCSI is inclusive of the estimated Federal & Provincial cannabis excise taxes.
The CCSI was assessed at C$5.24 per gram this week, down 0.9% from last week’s C$5.29 per gram. This week’s price equates to US$1,744 per pound at the current exchange rate.
This week we review some statistics collected in the 2022 Canadian Cannabis Survey. There is a lot of interesting information, but we will focus on key data that gives us further understanding of the cannabis direction and size. The full report summary can be found here.
- From 2021 to 2022 the average monthly spend on cannabis across Canada decreased from $69 to $65. Here is the data by province for the past 3 years.
- Canadians’ usage has been trending higher as accessibility and acceptance grows. The chart below breaks out usage by sex and age group since the inception of legal recreational cannabis sales. As seen below, the 12-month cannabis use in 2022 was 27% compared to 25% the year prior. Of the population that has used cannabis in the past 12 months, a quarter of those reported using cannabis daily or almost daily in 2022.
- As new methods of consuming cannabis become mainstream, we see cannabis users moving to other intake methods. Smoking cannabis made up 70% of consumption, which is a big drop from 74% the year prior. Eating / drinking and vaping remained fairly stable.
- Average cannabis initiation age has been slowly climbing for the past 5 years.
- More Canadians purchased cannabis for non-medical purposes from a legal storefront in 2022.
- Legal Store Locations: In 2022, 61% of those who used cannabis in the past 12 months indicated their usual source of cannabis was a legal storefront, an increase from 52% in 2021.
- Legal Online Source: In 2022, 8% of those who used cannabis in the past 12 months indicated a legal online source as their usual source of cannabis, a decrease from 11% in 2021.
Content is provided “as is.” New Leaf Data Services, LLC., makes no guarantees or warranties as to the accuracy, completeness, timeliness or results to be obtained from accessing and using Cannabis Benchmarks® data.
This publication may not be duplicated, distributed, or stored in a retrieval system, in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, without prior written permission and consent of New Leaf Data Services, LLC.
1-888-502-7298 | www.CannabisBenchmarks.com | [email protected]